Firestarter logs (commonly known by the brand, Duraflame) are readily available in the house. These logs are designed to start fires in fireplaces easily, as they are highly flammable. If ingested by dogs, the compressed sawdust and wax within these logs can result in a foreign body obstruction in the stomach. Some types of these logs contain heavy metals also, and there is rare risk of heavy metal toxicity.
Firestarter Logs Poisoning in Dogs
Manufactured firelogs come in many shapes and sizes. They are designed to be both easier to ignite and longer lasting than firewood and can come in handy in a number of situations. They are not meant to be chewed on or eaten. Because of the way they are compacted it is quite common for the ingested portions of the firelog to become impacted and cause blockages and damage to the gastrointestinal system. Some of the adhesives used are also toxic and additives such as metals, nutshells, and fruit pits may be crushed into the log.
Firestarter Logs Are Dangerous For Pets
As mentioned in the first paragraph, some firestarter logs contain heavy metals (usually thallium) that create colors when burned. If ingested, signs of heavy metal poisoning may occur. Clinical signs of toxicity vary slightly for each metal but usually include vomiting, diarrhea and-or seizures.
JustAnswer in the News:
Hello, I am Dr. Zoe. Most firestarter logs are just paraffin wax and sawdust. Although technically paraffin is a hydrocarbon, it is not absorbed via the digestive tract to any appreciable degree. So systemic signs are not expected. Do you see on the package(if you have another) if there is any chemical added to them?
My dog ate a small brick of a firestarter log. Hes a 80 lb…
If you’re referring to fire starter logs like Duraflame, then rest assured, that your dog should be fine. Duraflame logs are non toxic but the wood fiber could cause some digestive issues such as diarrhea or even an intestinal obstruction if the wood fiber gets caught in the intestines.
When manufactured fireplaces were first introduced to the market, the UL-Certification Tests for those appliances did not address the use of firelogs in these fireplaces. Consequently, the earlier manufactured fireplaces were sold with stickers recommending only natural firewood be used. Now that most brands of firelogs have been UL-Classified for safe use in zero-clearance fireplaces, most fireplace manufacturers have begun to change their product labels and warranty information allowing the use of UL-Classified solid fuels, such as duraflame® firelogs.
Fireplace flame color enhancers may contain heavy metals and-or caustic agents. Fire gel starter may contain methanol or hydrocarbons; both are toxic in small quantities. Fires can release poisonous carbon monoxide into the air.
Re: Thoughts please – Bailey ate an entire firestarter brick
The Hearth Guard Fire Extinguishing Spray is effective to use on fires involving electrical equipment of 110-220 volts (e.g., a fire started by a toaster). Independent testing has shown the spray pattern is not electrically conductive at 35,000 volts, even from 10 inches.